Thursday, April 26, 2012

Living in the Past

Sometimes I like to go back, think about things as they were. Not compare, not feel better or worse about where you are now, but simply to live in the past, feel like you used to, good or bad. Live in the past, if only for a minute or so. But that minute isn't just a minute. It draws from a pool of memories spanning weeks, months, years, letting you travel through your mistakes, your fortunes, the things that still bring a smile to your face, the things that still make you wince.
    When I was a kid, or actually when I was more of a kid than I am now, I used to be in a different school, and we had a school bus that took us to school everyday. It was really crowded, and the suspension was literally non-existent, so every jolt meant a collective 'whoop', almost always followed by the sound of someone's failed landing. It was one of the best times of my life, and to this day I did not know why. The thought of it still makes my heart pound, perhaps for more reasons than one, but it was the ride. Someday, when I'm older, I'm going to go back, and take that bus, if its still there.