Sunday, February 10, 2013

An Intrinsic test of Intelligence


What defines intelligence? More specifically, what defines intelligence in an introspective fashion? Most children in the developed world come to terms with the idea of the Intelligence Quotient and encounter many such testing opportunities as early as preschool, but men like me born in the developing world have had little to no chance of such encounters (rendering a discussion into underdeveloped communities moot). How then do some of us realize, that we are gifted? Furthermore, can these observations of the self searching for signs of intelligence signify the existence of such themselves?
Note: The author realizes the tone of this discussion would hinge on the assumption of the author himself being gifted or in possession of an Intelligence Quotient higher than the average. Such an assumption does seem presumptuous and arrogant even to the author, but the technicalities of whether an individual is allowed to identify himself as being more intelligent deserves an article of its own. For now, his request stands that the reader view the contents of this article without being prejudiced by this assumption as much as possible.

From a very small age, I have been obsessed with the idea of my possessing an intellect superior to my peers. This began as an analysis of sorts regarding the discrepancies in thought processes between us, subsequently progressing to my devising a method for environmental adjustment, as I called it (I was 5), culminating in what I realize today to be either a skewed or condescending concept of reality. 
Nevertheless, this led the beginning of a series of experiments performed by me (some of my closer friends might actually be aware of this) to accurately gauge and collate complex human responses and thought patterns to perceived interactions with myself. To this end, I tried different personalities and different (sometimes regrettably random) responses (Note: Response here signifies one or more conversations rather than a single verbal segment, as the word usually signifies), and tried to cross-reference them on the basis of perceived personality, both on my side and the other's, along with a brief evaluation of enviromental factors. I still have the notebooks. Yes, I'm nuts.

The true question however becomes, can a person know or consider himself intelligent? For the sake of argument, let us assume that he/she can completely recognize and disregard the aspect of pride and/or self-esteem, and simply evaluate himself apathetically, as if he were someone else. Is there a method by which he could determine, by some level of certainty, the degree of intelligence he/she possesses and its deviation from the normal? Just something to think about, considering that we all consider ourselves to be smart, maybe not arrogant enough to consider ourselves universally so (there are exceptions), but at least in a single field or even a singular instant in time.

P.S: I didn't bother with definitions, a decision I regret since this post was intended as informal which it clearly isn't now.